I moved the blawg between physical hosts and also changed the base URL from /blawg/ to just /, since that's how all the Cool Kids do it and I wasn't updating anything at all besides the blawg anyway.
I figured while I was breaking things, I might as well go all the way and switch to the RC4 for MovableType 4.2. I made an unpleasant discovery that while 4.1 will backup and restore, 4.2 will only backup. So I had to export my posts from the old installation (fine, wanted to do that anyway) then import them into 4.2, but as a result I lost some settings - my pretty green! - and also some spam comments got accidentally published.
So far, I'm actually not impressed with MT 4.2 - despite its vaunted speed, and the faster CPUs in the new host, it still took 27 minutes to do a full publish run. Then again, it was starting from complete scratch, so maybe next publishes will be faster.
Hopefully this won't break MarsEdit! (It didn't.)
Update:
Changed the base dir back. Damn second thoughts. Plus it broke RSS feeds. I'm too lazy to figure out the rewrite-fu required, plus I was worried about MT stomping on stuff in the base dir. Maybe some day I'll do the reverse: redirect / to /blawg. And I have my green back, but not the BANPC blogroll at the side - I'll fix that later.


Published

Category

Admin

Contact