I just upgraded my primary Linux workstation to Ubuntu 8.04 (I was waiting for some other things to happen anyway, so I had some dead time) and had a bit of difficulty getting things going. However, this post was handy sorting things out.
I found it was easiest to extract the vmware-any-any patch (from here since the other post doesn't link directly to it) then make the vcpuset.h change discussed in the first post, and tar it back up again, then run the any-any patch's runme.pl script.
I did find that I had to cp the libgcc_s and libpng12 libraries as described at the bottom of the Federkiel post.